Monday, May 29, 2006

Progress!

Progress! At last! After working on the same essay since xmas, I finally finished the first full draft on Saturday night sometime between 12:30 and 1am. Yay! I've been working on this for about five months--which is five times longer than any single dissertation chapter took me last year! Whew!

I can finally use the code for strikethough on the list in the right margin, something I've been aching to do for ages, using the list as a dangling carrot, just for the pleasure of scratching it off. Or partly. The problem now is that the essay is 53 pages long, and the editor who is publishing it has given me a maximum page limit of 45, so now I've got 8 pages to cut. I'd already cut 3 a month ago and have no idea how to cut a text that I know is full of repetition. Some serious editing remains ahead of me...

So progress (yippie!) but there's still quite a way to go yet...

Update - Tuesday, May 30: Translation #2 (the short 5 page one, rather than the longer 20 page one) is now done. One more strikethrough--yay!