Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Update on Book Proposal

So I heard back this morning from Specific Series Editor of #1 Publisher. It turns out that he's no longer editng the specific series for which I prepared my book proposal. That's all the news he could give me. He gave me the name and email of a contact person at Publisher, but it turns out that she's travelling with limited email for the next two weeks. The person mentioned in her auto-reply didn't know the answer to any of my questions but said she would try to find out. So, as it stands now, my email submission was pointless, and my hard copy submission is now in the mail, addressed to a series editor who no longer edits the series, and I don't even know if that specific series is going to continue to exist! Hopefully I won't have to wait the full two weeks for the contact person to return in order to get an answer. Hopefully someone else will be taking over editing the series, but at the moment I don't even know that. This came as a shock to both supervisors #1 and 3, neither of whom had any idea that series editor wasn't editing the series anymore. Supervisor #1 has close ties with series editor and there's a long track record of people for whom he puts in a word getting a book contract, but now that the series is no longer being edited by that person, I can't count on that connection to help me out, which is the most troubling part of all this. So now I sit and wait for an answer from the publisher about the status of the series. And I go back significantly deflated to those 37 more job applications. And I'll have to tackle modifying my proposal for those three other publishers a lot sooner than I thought. Ugh.

2 Marginalia:

At 17/10/07 12:11, Blogger Renaissance Girl said...

I'm considering changing my blog name to "I Hate Academic Publishing." Not too long ago, I submitted a completed manuscript (a different project than the one which Currently Haunts My Dreams) to Prestigious Overseas Press, which the NYC editor pursued for half a year, until she was told that the UK division was coming out with a book on the same topic, of which they had not informed her. So I took the MS to Large and Good UP, USA, whose editor pursued the project with real enthusiasm, until the press cut the subject list and fired the guy. GRRR. I say send with greater confidence, to more series. But I say that with empathy for your suckerpunch.

 
At 17/10/07 13:14, Blogger Hilaire said...

Oh my goodness, how utterly frustrating. I'm sorry.

 

Scribble in my margins

<< Home