Thursday, November 16, 2006

New office--finally!

16 months after we were supposed to move into the run-down, old house on campus that was being renovated and redubbed "Espace Renaissance" just for us, the day has finally arrived! Yes, after 16 months of "Oh, you'll be moving in next month", we actually have. I'm blogging from my own, freshly painted, private office. Muse, you would like it. The "coconut cream" accent wall looks pink under the neon lights in the ceiling (you know I don't do pink!), and the locks on the individual office doors are still not-functioning / non-existant, but all in all it is pretty good. The view out the back window, against which my desk is positioned and out of which I'm looking now, is not that bad either. If you can get your eyes to look through the thick screen of the fire escape fence, you can see the green rooftops of some of the old buildings in the center of campus, and even a little bit of the green soccer field next to the library. There are lots of students milling about, walking to and fro between the student center and the library, which is nice and attentuates the isolation of being a postdoc with next to no contact with other people on campus. Plus, the walk over to the real building for our faculty will be a bit shorter now. Best of all, from now on, we only have to climb half-way up that damn, steep hill! And, I've got my own bookshelf and my own file cabinet! What more could a budding scholar want?!

2 Marginalia:

At 18/11/06 20:17, Blogger Pamphilia said...

Yay! Felicitations! I'm so glad you finally got your own office. Sorry I can't be there to share the joy. Maybe I can visit the Espace Renaissance next time I'm in town! Trying not to count the days, but I figure everything will move faster after US Thanksgiving and I get this penultimate batch of papers marked and returned. Hope all is well with you!

 
At 18/11/06 20:18, Blogger Pamphilia said...

PS Yes I'm coming to Montreal for New Year's and then some.

 

Scribble in my margins

<< Home