Saturday, January 26, 2008

Temporarily in Draft Mode

As I said in my last post, I got a campus visit a couple days ago. Yippie! I'm really excited about this, and, as I said in the last post, I think they are the school for me and I'm the candidate for them. I honestly believe that we are a perfect fit for each other.

However, when I booked my plane ticket, and forwarded it to the search committee, I didn't realize that Expedia would include my login name / email address in the message. It's the same nickname I use on this blog (because I'd rather confine junk mail to my hotmail account than have it pile up in my university inbox). So, just to be on the safe side of things, in case the search committee should decide to google my nickname and arrive here (I would if I were on a search committee), I've taken down all academia-related postings and just left up the ones about Québec politics and the innocuous personal posts. Those deleted posts are in draft mode and will reappear after the job search is over.

If, dear search committee, you do arrive here and read this, I just want to say that I don't actually have anything to hide. There's nothing in those postings that I wouldn't say face to face. Heck, I probably will convey much of what's in those posts when I see you in person, and the rest is already on my cv. I'm taking them down mainly because I feel stupid about not forwarding my flight itinerary to myself first and double-checking what it said, editing out my email nickname, and then forwarding it to you from my university account. What can I say but that I'm very excited to have been invited to your campus and it had been a long day by the time I made the booking. I'd also like to think that I'm mature, responsible, and tech-savy enough to fix my own mistakes. I'm not taking down my old website though, which also has the same nickname, because I trust that no search committee would hold me accountable for what I wrote way back in my undergrad days. As Virginia Slims would say, I've come a long way, baby! (In any case, there's so much out there these days that it's impossible to control one's google results anymore anyway, and academia is going to have to learn to accept that and adapt to the new tech reality. I've got lots of thoughts on that subject, but will save them for another day....)

My typically irregularly scheduled posting will resume in a couple weeks, at which point I hope to have some very good job news to blog about!