Sunday, August 20, 2006

PhD comics

I stumbled across this website today for PhD comics. Two hours later I had only scratched the surface of the archives, but it sure was fun reading through them. I guess that I'm not quite as far removed from the PhD experience as I thought I was (and, yes, there were some postdoc quips in there too), or perhaps it's just that one never really forgets all the quirks of the PhD experience. In any case, it was nice to see how universal that experience really is. Of all the characters in the strip, only one was a humanities PhD candidate, and the rest were in science and engineering, but the trials and tribulations, ups and downs, and hurdles to jump over and hoops to jump through were essentially the same. I'm sure glad that there are no more of those flaming hoops to jump through anymore--although perhaps it's more accurate simply to say that now I've got a whole new sets of hurdles and hoops ahead of me to look forward to...